Chaigeley Educational Foundation is a Registered Charity governed by a voluntary committee of Director Trustees and managed on their behalf by the Principal. The Charity has had associations with the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) from its beginnings in the war years,when it was set up to provide a hostel, 1940-44, based at Chaigley Manor, near Clitheroe, for “unbilletable evacuees” fleeing the Liverpool blitz. As it was felt that this useful provision for children with emotional and behavioural difficulties should continue, not purely as war relief but on a more permanent basis . When Chaigeley Manor, was required by its owner at the close of the war, a new location was found in Thelwall in 1946, where the school resides today (formerly Greenfield’s House) as it was felt that this useful provision for children with emotional and behavioural difficulties should continue, not purely as war relief but on a more permanent basis . The school has the distinction of being the first residential school for children with BESD to be approved under the Education Act of 1944.
The Foundation has a history as a pioneering organisation. In the past, it has been involved with some of the notable personalities and organisations concerned with the education of emotionally and behaviourally disturbed children. More recently, a track record of innovation and a will to succeed against the odds, has won many warm comments from pupils, their carers and local authority officers alike. The school continues to reflect Quaker Values and Welcomes Children of all creeds and ethnic groups.